Monday, December 28, 2009

A Father's Grief...

This is Alexis' father, Zach. The sidebar used to say I might make occasional guest appearances, but it looks like Amy changed it (maybe she gave up on me posting here). I have been so impressed with Amy's ability to be so candid with her feelings and emotions (a trait of women, I imagine). I also admire all you mothers who comment and rally together to help each other through happy and sad times.

It just amazes me how Amy has been able to find such a tight support group. I've asked her before where the fathers go for such a support because, while I firmly believe a father's grief is not as deep or profound as a mother's, it still exists. Days are hard, nights are hard.

Amy gets frustrated with me sometimes because I'm not as forthcoming with my feelings and emotions, so for Christmas I decided I'd finish a record I was making of my thoughts and feelings about our daughter's birth and give it to her. After some thought, I've decided to post it here so that it may be of some help to other fathers who go through the same thing... to know they're not alone in their grief. I still miss our daughter everyday and it pains me not to have her with us. But I know we will see her one day.

Since it's a rather lengthy record, I've posted it on a separate page, you can read it here.

-Zach (no cute signature here)

3 comments:

Laura said...

Zac- I know this past year has been extremely difficult for you guys, and I'm sure recording eveything wasn't easy either, but you did it beautifully. Amy has been so candid about her feelings, and I truly believe your experiences have, and will continue to help others. Thank you!

Beth said...

thank you for sharing such a beautiful post. it's true, the differences between mothers and fathers... my husband was sadder holding her and i was sadder not. i didnt want to go home, and my husband did. he had to sleep under a drafty window too, and felt separated from the nurses who paid mostly attention to me.

you can read his 3 entries about our daughter here on his blog: http://unforgiveninblue.blogspot.com

Peach said...

Zach - ((hugs)) to you. Try this link: http://www.fathersgrievinginfantloss.blogspot.com/